Friday, August 6, 2010

Calorie Burn in a Yoga/ Pranayama Session

Out of curiosity, I bought a heart rate/calorie burn monitor for my daily exercise routine. I have this fancy T3 Sunoto monitor that has way more features than I would ever need. Nevertheless, it also has the basic heart rate/calorie burn monitor as well. Today while doing Yoga, I decided to use it to monitor how much of energy is burnt in each yoga pose. Here is it:
PoseCalorie BurnHeart BeatTime
Warming up19 kCal956 minutes
Kapotanasana4 kCal972 minutes
Surya namaskara40 kCal1369 minutes(approx. 6)
VeerBhadrasana+Ardhachandrasana38 kCal1329 minutes
Trikonasana10 kCal1253 minutes
Prasarita Padottanasana17 kCal1084 minutes
Janu Sirshasana18 kCal914 minutes
Baddhakonasana2 kCal851 minutes
Sleeping pose 13 kCal712 minutes
Bridge Pose2 kCal771 and half minutes
Sarvangasana+Halasana2 kCal882 minutes
Chakrasana1 kCal891 minutes
Supta Matsyendrasana5 kCal902 minutes
Savasana5 kCal756 minutes
Pranayama
Bhastrika1 kCal752 minutes
Kapalbhati4 kCal757 minutes
Anuloma-Viloma3 kCal756 minutes
Total 174 KCal/66 minutes

Now I have to deal with this instrument!!

A zumba session for one hour burns about 410 kcals for me at best. Zumba not only feels good, but helps sweat/detox a lot. I am all for thrice weekly zumba!

7 comments:

shivali said...

I don't think these are correct from any way.

Sucheta Tripathy PI @ Computational Genomics Group at IICB, Kolkata said...

What makes you think so?

Unknown said...

Not correct data.
In 15 minutes kapalbhati byrn 35-40 kcal.

Sucheta Tripathy PI @ Computational Genomics Group at IICB, Kolkata said...

My data is based on my Sunoto sports watch. Again every system has its accuracy levels, but what makes you think what you write is correct?

Unknown said...

Yes I also agree

The practical peoples said...

Data seems to be nearby correct

Unknown said...

Baba ramdev said 15000 calories burn in 1 minute